Best for: Yr 7-9 students (but adaptable for others)
Welcome to the third SCINEMA Student Workshop of 2020. This session is designed for you to complete with your classes. There is a video to watch that directs students through the activities and a teachers’ resource pack for you to follow along.
This workshop is designed for students in Years 7-9 however it can easily be adapted for other year groups. The film is suitable for all ages.
In this workshop, we will be watching a film called Scratching the Surface which was submitted as part of this years SCINEMA International Science Film Festival and won Best Short Film. We will learn how animals can be used to help humans, think about the ethics of this and investigate what can be learned from considering the perspectives of others.
You can watch the workshop with your students and download the teachers’ pack below, you just have to be logged in.
What students will learn:
- All must be able to state the importance of an awareness of multiple perspectives on an issue
- Most should be able to describe various perspectives of an issue and state how animals can be used to help society
- Some could be able to discuss the ethics involved in using animals to aid society whilst considering a wide range of viewpoints on the issue
Each student will need:
- Sheets of blank paper
- Pens or pencils
- Viewpoint template from the teacher resource pack
- Lined paper/jotter for answering questions
- Questions from the teacher resource pack
Login or Sign up for FREE to view the workshop and download the associated teachers’ resource.
Find out some other ways which you, your students, and your schools can get involved in SCINEMA International Science Film Festival:
- HOST A SCINEMA SCREENING – Available now! Organise your own SCINEMA festival watch party throughout August and you will get access to all of this years playlists, including the full education playlists and activities. Register here.
- PARTICIPATE IN SCINEMA JUNIOR – if your students are interested in science videos, you can encourage them to create their own and submit it into next years SCINEMA Film Festival. Find out how here.
- GET LAST YEARS RESOURCES – For even more SCINEMA films and education resources, you can access a selection from last year here.