Best for: Yr 4-6 students (but adaptable for all)
Welcome to the second SCINEMA Student Workshop of 2020. This session is designed for you to complete with your classes. There is a video to watch that directs students through the activities and a teachers’ resource pack for you to follow along.
This workshop is designed for students in Years 4 to 6 however it can easily be adapted for all year groups. The film is suitable for all ages.
In this workshop, we will be watching a film called Impact: Beyond the night sky which was submitted as part of this year’s SCINEMA International Science Film Festival. We will explore what makes up the Solar System and what kind of people study this as their job.
You can watch the workshop with your students and download the teachers’ pack below, you just have to be logged in.
Feedback from Workshop 1
You can see how other students got on here.
What students will learn:
- All must be able to state how forces have caused visible craters on the Moon
- Most should be able to describe what makes up the Solar System, including the spaces between the planets
- Some could be able to explain how your knowledge of the Solar System has changed and give examples of STEM careers and skills in this area
Each student will need:
- Two post-it notes (different colours ideally)
- Pens or pencils
- Access to a whiteboard or sheet of butchers paper
- Lined paper/jotter for writing
- Questions from the teacher resource pack
Login or Sign up for FREE to view the workshop and download the associated teachers’ resource.
Upcoming virtual student workshops
Workshop 3 will be available from Monday 3 August 2020 and will be targetted to students in years 7-9.
Again, this workshop is easily adaptable for other year groups and the film is suitable for any age.
Find out some other ways which you, your students, and your schools can get involved in SCINEMA International Science Film Festival:
- HOST A SCINEMA SCREENING – Organise your own SCINEMA festival watch party throughout August and you will get access to all of this years playlists, including the full education playlists and activities. Register here.
- PARTICIPATE IN SCINEMA JUNIOR – if your students are interested in science videos, you can encourage them to create their own and submit it into next years SCINEMA Film Festival. Find out how here.
- GET LAST YEARS RESOURCES – If you can’t wait until August for the full resource packs from this year, you can access a selection from last year here.